About the Thua Thien-Hue province government’s ban on the meeting of the Invalid Soldiers of Republic of Vietnam at Phuoc Thanh pagoda in Hue City.
- All the Vietnamese people in the country and overseas.
- All the democratic governments, the international and United Nation Human Rights Organizations.
- The Vietnamese communist government.
According to the website of the Vietnam Redemptorist News (March 11th, 2015), on the morning of March 10th 2015, the communist authorities of Thua Thien-Hue province came to meet the monks at Phuoc Thanh Pagoda (on Phan Chu Trinh Street) and forced them to cancel the meeting of “Tri ân Quý Thương binh VNCH” (Gratitude to the Invalid Soldiers of the Republic of Vietnam) that will be held on March 15th, with the presence of the Interfaith Council of Vietnam. More than 200 invalid soldiers of the Republic of Vietnam living in Quang Tri and Thua Thien – Hue will attend the meeting which is initiated by Venerable Thich Khong Tanh, Commissioner for Humanitarian and Social Affairs of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam. The communist government says that the meeting is not good and so it is not permitted. If the meeting is still held, the government will ban it with the force. Besides, the police have come to meet many invalids, loot the invitation letter and force them to promise not to come to Phuoc Thanh Pagoda.
Witnessing this case, the Interfaith Council of Vietnam feels the need to announce the situation:
- Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, in his message at the beginning of the year of 2014 affirmed a law principle that most of people in the world agree: “The people can do what the law does not ban; and the government only can do what the law permits”. The Prime Minister also called for the construction of the rule of law. So let us question: “On what law do the authorities of Thua Thien-Hue province base to ban the people to hold the meeting mentioned above, and on what law do they base to allow themselves to come to the pagoda to threaten to ban the meeting, then loot the invitation letter sent to the invalids?”
- All of the Vietnamese people are looking to the 40th anniversary of the day when the communist party began to rule the country. The communist party have always noisily called for “reconcilement among the people”, forgetting the hatred and venge. Let us have a question: Do the Thua Thien-Hue province authorities carry out that policy when they ban the Interfaith Council of Vietnam and the monks at Phuoc Thanh Pagoda to hold a meeting for the invalids of the Republic of Vietnam? In fact, they have always nourished hatred for the veterans who have been ill-treated for 40 years. These veterans are invalids who cannot do any harm to the communist regime.
- Our country is in danger of confronting the Chinese invaders (we are going to celebrate the anniversary of the event in Gac Ma in 1988 when 64 heroes dying for the country on March 14, 2015. It is a boiling and painful memory). Is the ban of the meeting an action of “social peace” and “winning people’s hearts” in order to unite all the people for the opposition to the long time enemy of our people?
- As dignitaries, who have the duty of preaching and carrying out the eradication of hatred, the care of the unlucky, the gratitude to the people who have sacrified their life or a part of their bodies for the nation, we, the Interfaith Council of Vietnam, are determined to hold the meeting of the invalids of the Republic of Vietnam. We hope that everything will go on well, so that it can make the dirty face of human rights in Vietnam, the face that the UN Special Rapporteur on Religious Freedom has just presented at the Human Rights Council of the United Nations Organiztion on March 11th.
Vietnam, March 13, 2015
The Interfaith Council of Vietnam
– Reverend Peter Phan Văn Lợi (đt: 0984.236.371)
– Reverend Joseph Đinh Hữu Thoại (đt: 0935.569.205)
– Reverend Anthony Lê Ngọc Thanh (đt: 0993.598.820)
– Reverend Paul Lê Xuân Lộc (đt: 0122.596.9335)
– Venerable Thích Không Tánh (đt: 0165.6789.881)
– Venerable Thích Viên Hỷ (đt: 0937.777.312)
– Venerable Thích Đồng Minh (đt: 0933.738,591)
– Pastor Nguyễn Hoàng Hoa (đt: 0121.9460.045)
– Pastor Đinh Uỷ (đt: 0163.5847.464)
– Pastor Đinh Thanh Trường (đt: 0120.2352.348)
– Pastor Nguyễn Hồng Quang (đt: 0978.207.007)
– Pastor Phạm Ngọc Thạch (đt: 0912.000.709)
– Pastor Nguyễn Trung Tôn (đt: 0906.342.908)
– Pastor Nguyễn Mạnh Hùng (đt: 0906.342.908)
– Pastor Lê Quang Du (đt: 0121.2002.001)
– First Master Hứa Phi (đt: 0163.3273.240)
– First Master Nguyễn Kim Lân (đt: 0988.971.117)
– First Master Nguyễn Bạch Phụng (đt: 0988.477.719)
Hoà Hảo Buddhist:
– Mr. Lê Quang Liêm, Chairperson (đt: 0199.2432.593)
– Mr. Phan Tấn Hòa (đt: 0162.6301.082)
– Mr. Tống Văn Chính (đt: 0163.5745.430)
– Mr. Lê Văn Sóc (đt: 096.4199.039)
– Mr. Tống Văn Chính (đt: 0163.574.5430)
– Mr. Bùi Văn Luốc (đt: 0163.688.8220)